Sunday, October 21, 2012

Maturinisms

"I must guard against a strong and increasing tendency to indulge in dogged, sullen conduct - the conduct of vexation (much promoted by want of exercise); but I confess that much as I love them, I could wish them both to the Devil, with their high-flown, egocentrical points of honor and their purblind spurring one another on to remarkable exploits that may very well end in unnecessary death. In their death, which is their concern: but also in mine, to say nothing of the rest of the ship's company. A slaughtered crew, a sunken ship and my collections destroyed - these do not weigh at all against their punctilios. There is a systematic flocci-naucinihili-pilification of all other aspects of existence that angers me."
Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brien p. 336-337

"The wine is drawn, it must be drunk. The frog has neither feathers nor wool, and yet she sings. You will have to sail up to the Downs, eating the bread of affliction off your cable-laid baubles, and wetting it with the tears of misery; and I may tell you, sir, that you will eat it without me."
Post Captain by Patrick O'Brien p.198

You are not to eat any hametz with it; for seven days you are to eat with it matzah, the bread of affliction; for you came out of the land of Egypt in haste. Thus you will remember the day you left the land of Egypt as long as you live.
Deuteronomy 16:3
          Matzah is an unleavened bread eaten at passover to commemorate the flight of the
 .        Israelites from Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment